Monday, October 12, 2015

Creature Crunch vs. Bridal Bits Cereal

If you follow me on Facebook, you already saw these when I first posted them a few weeks ago. I'm like a lot of you and love sugary sweet breakfast cereals, but I have spent a lifetime frustrated by the fact that the two greatest Universal movie horrors of them all, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, and The Bride of Frankenstein, never received their own monster cereal flavor along side Count Chocula, Frankenberry, BooBerry, Fruit Brute, and Yummy Mummy! So I opened up photoshop and I decided to do something about it.


I'll have a few more of these for you later this month as well, in the meantime give 'em a vote, or vote for both flavors-- even if you don't eat cereal you know you'd wanna add these boxes to your collection of fun monster food stuff!



7 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

I like 'em both! You did a great job! I'd eat bowls and bowls of either.

But it poses an answer to the question, kind of: I never assumed much of a connection to Universal Monsters with the extant breakfast food characters, per se. Dracula and Frankenstein are actual works of art (both of which should be in the public domain), and ghosts, werewolves, and mummies are more like categories or archetypes than specific characters. And that said, the General Mills monsters dodge any intellectual infringements by creating whole new personas, designs, and even names for their box mascots.

In this way, the Bride and the Gillman are much more specific to Universal and the characters they've created. That's, I assume, why they've never been cerealized. And if they had been, they'd be cute cartoon designs very careful to avoid comparison with their movie counterparts. Like "the Creep from the Mellow Marsh" (a hippy fish-man with groovy colored marshmallows) and Merry Shellies (Frankenberry's Bride, shilling puffed corn seashells with fruit sprinkles), that kind of thing.

J_D_La_Rue_67 said...

Both are great but my vote definitely goes to the "Bridal Bits".

Tom said...

I'd buy 'em!

Chris Sobieniak said...

Speaking of Monster Cereals, I bet I missed out on the ones out this year. I barely paid attention at all.

Atomic_Scout said...

Really nice job! Being a huge Creature fan I appreciate the thought very much and would have to absolutely choose...Creature Crunch!

Mr. Karswell said...

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the comments and everyone sharing the images around the web too! I'm still working on a couple more to post sometime later this month, so keep checking back! :)

Unknown said...

PLEASE create an image with the last "Universal Monster" on the list.....
The Phantom of the Opera!!!
Then your collection would be COMPLETE.
It's alive.... ALIVE!!!
(Frank pun intended)