Wednesday, December 28, 2011

"Audrey II" A Flytrap Bank

My kid had no luck this past summer raising a real potted venus flytrap (R.I.P.) Zander's obsession with carnivorous plants stemmed from watching the Little Shop of Horror films with me (yes, both versions), and one night after the recent heartbreaking flytrap funeral while trying to figure out what to do next, my online research unearthed this Audrey II toy bank that someone was selling on ebay. No water! No bugs! No green thumb required, just one AA battery and some change! I never knew this thing even existed, and apparently it's kind of a rare movie tie-in:


It's a battery operated chomper (made in Taiwan), just put the coin in its mouth and Audrey II gulps it down, making a startling electro buzzing sound in the process. I still haven't figured out how it really works, but it looks cool and is a good containment unit for the kid to put his coinage in. The clever box art below is loads of fun too with illustrations that seem more 70's than '86 to me... I scanned all sides of the packaging including the lid.






(lid)


Little Xmas of Horrors (2011)

8 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Agreed. That art is way more like Tom Yohe's seventies output than anything from the eighties. Like that mighty fine picture of Doctor Z at the bottom there, too. He also looks like seventies output.

Mr. Karswell said...

Haha, I'm actually counting the days until Z is old enough to watch Phantasm with me!

Anonymous said...

How much did you pay?

Mr. Karswell said...

Around $70 with the shipping

Unknown said...

How can I buy one of those?!!! I've been searching everywhere for anything of Audry 2 for my son.

Mr. Karswell said...

Keep checking eBay, it was the only place I've ever seen one available-- good luck!

Audrey leonard said...

Where can I find one of these??

Mr. Karswell said...

eBay!!! good luck